Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is an infection of gum tissues around your teeth that can result in tooth loss. Because gum disease is a long-term process, it is often seen in adults more than children. A major cause of gum disease is the formation of plaque in our mouths, which can be caused by a variety of risk factors.
Protect your mouth from the dangers of gum disease. Listed below are some common risks you may face:
– Hormonal fluctuations in females could increase their risk for gingivitis, a precursor to gum disease. The risk is due to heightened sensitivity in your gums.
– Smoking and chewing tobacco are major risk factors for gum disease. Beyond the host of other diseases that could potentially arise, smoking tobacco can directly cause gum disease and lower your chances for a successful treatment of the disease.
– Treatments for various diseases, including cancer, can have an adverse effect on your gums, potentially leading to gum disease.
– Gum disease can be caused by reduced saliva flow. Many medications cause dry mouth symptoms.
– Individuals who suffer from diabetes are at a higher risk for infections, which can include gum disease.
– Sometimes gum disease can be caused by genetics alone. Some individuals tend to be more genetically prone to gum disease than others.
If you are suffering from gum disease, or feel you may be at risk for the disease, please contact our office at 317.535.3940 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Aaron Wilkins at our office in Greenwood, Indiana. Making your smile healthy again is what we strive to do!